Safety guidelines for field work
- Every day before going out, put your name, a description of where you go and when you will be back on the list on the notice board.
- If the manager is not at the station, make an arrangement to report to someone else when you are back at the station (on phone if there are no other people at the station).
- Bring a cell phone and make sure you have left your number in the user protocol. Note that not all areas around Finse have cell phone coverage - consider bringing a satellite phone when working in these areas (we may have one you can borrow).
- The weather can change very rapidly - bring warm clothes and extra food in case of emergency.
- Fog (and white-out in the winter) can reduce visibility to near zero - always bring a map and a compass (a GPS is also very useful - the station has some for lending out).
- To work on the glacier, you must provide proof that you have adequate training for working on glaciers. Alterantively, we can put you in contact with certified guides.
Published July 5, 2011 11:03 AM
- Last modified Sep. 18, 2012 7:21 PM