Conditions for use of the Research Unit
Although students and staff from the faculties of natural science at the universities of Bergen and Oslo have priority, researchers from any national and international institution may use the Research unit for research activities in the Finse area on the following conditions:
- The center manager should always be notified before visiting the field station. New users of the station should contact the center director before the first visit. For more information, see Booking.
- All researchers working at the center must submit a brief description of their research project(s) at Finse - see Project Registration.
- All users of the field station are themselves responsible for obtaining the necessary permissions from the authorities and the land owners for their research. Sticks and other material used to mark up study sites must always be removed after the project has finished. If you plan to leave any installations, marking sticks etc. in the field for more than a couple of weeks, you should register the GPS positions of these. For more information, see Permits.
- Use of lab space must be approved by the centre manager. All chemicals brought to the station must be reported to, and approved by, the station manager. Flammable or toxic chemicals must be stored safely and according to instructions. Any chemicals brought to the station and wastes must be brought back by the end of the season unless otherwise agreed. Do not discharge any toxic waste in the drain – we have a biological sewage treatment system!
- For safety during field work, always report where you go and when you will be back - see the Safety guidelines for field work.
- To work on the glacier, you must provide proof that you have adequate training for working on glaciers.
- The facilities must be kept clean and tidy - we do not employ cleaners to do the job. Bedrooms must be cleaned before departure. Mark your food and do not leave food in the fridge if you leave the station for more than a few days.
- Users who want to bring dogs to the station should read and comply with the conditions for Bringing dogs to the station.
- The user protocol (red book in the hallway) should be signed at arrival and a User report form should be submitted either after each visit or at the end of the season (see the Rates for use of the facilities and services).
- Always report publications resulting from work at the center to the center director. Please mention Finse Alpine Research Center in the Acknowledgement of any such publication, and give a copy to the center library if possible.